Wednesday, July 18, 2012

On the Road in Germany: Tübingen

It has been a very busy last few weeks. I have been lucky enough to do some traveling with my parents! We had such an amazing time. The highlight of the trip was a visit back to my favorite city in Europe, Tübingen, Germany. I spent a year studying here from 2008 to 2009 and fell in love with the city and all of the people I met there. It is so lovely!  I try to go back and visit as often as possible. 

Tübingen is a beautiful German city located in Baden-Württemberg. It is a bustling little university city; the student population makes up about a quarter of the total population. The university was established in 1477 and the town dates back to the Middle Ages. The city is well preserved because it was left largely unscathed during the Second World War. It is a city that has so much history and culture. I cannot wait for future visits. 


We were able to rent an apartment for the weekend that was right on the Neckar river in a house that is 700 years old! It is the rust-colored house that is six houses in from the right. The boats on the river are called Stocherkahn, which are punt boats and are very popular in the area. Some of the locals even install small barbecues in their boats to have lunch while floating down the river on a sunny afternoon.


We were able to enjoy some delicious Swabian foods. We had dinner at die Wurstküche (sausage kitchen), which is highly recommended! Of course a traditional German meal often goes well with one of the local freshly brewed beers, which there are plenty of throughout the area.

If you ever have the chance to visit this area of Germany, I highly recommend a visit to this delightful little city. It has so much character and will surely not disappoint.

<3 Amy

1 comment:

  1. Brings back memories. I also studied there for a year in 1992-1993! I have been back a few times since then and it amazes me how little it's changed. It can make you feel like you went back in time, but to a time you know. You are right. It's one of the most lovely spots in Europe. I made wonderful friends and had a very hard time leaving.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your interest and input! We get embarrassingly excited to receive comments.