Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Hooray for the Internet!

Many of this week's links need little explanation.  Enjoy!

Water-colored Doilies on Decor8


Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam on Simple Homemade
A jam recipe without added sugar!

Green Beans with Mustard Dressing on Natural Kids
We are doing our best to eat more fresh veggies in our house, so I'm thinking of trying this.

Re-upholstered Chair on Beauty That Moves
A simple and elegant fix.

Retro Travel Bag on Riley Blake Designs
I would prefer this with completely different fabric and handles, but I like the design.

DIY's with Vintage Sheets on Modern Kiddo

Maurice Sendak Memoriam on New York Times

Last week, I posted a new book that I want to read.  This week, it seems only appropriate to post another book I want to read.  As I'm sure many of you know, Maurice Sendak will no longer be around to fill our world with beautiful, if somewhat unsettling, children's books.  When I studied children's literature, I think we spent more time on Sendak than any other author.  My favorite was Outside Over There; I think it captured the feelings of responsibility, affection, and frustration children have towards their younger siblings.  Reading about Maurice Sendak, I have discovered another book that I desperately want to read, which I was much too old for at its time of publication.


Brundibar is based on a children's opera that was performed at Terezin Concentration Camp in Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia.  When we visited Terezin this winter, I was in awe of the way the prisoners spent so much time trying to create some semblance of a normal childhood for the youth of the camp.  The museum is full of the artwork of children.  I imagine this book and the story of children performing it at Terezin would be a gentle way to introduce children to the history of the Holocaust.

Though I may have ended on a sad note, I hope you've found something here to inspire or move you.

-Colleen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your interest and input! We get embarrassingly excited to receive comments.